Steinways / David Andersen

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Dec 8 23:48:19 MST 2006

David L, David A
  Yes,well I tuned & evaluated an 8 year old D today  that was rented
locally. It was voiced with the usual Big bright concetro hall  sound. Nothing wrong
with that.  Lots of power but not much sweetness.  Plucking notes in the
killer octaves displayed more sustain than the hammers  were able to give in there
condition, so it lacked any tonal change over the  dynamic range. But it had a
fair voice.
    Using a crown string revealed little  residual crown though the bass end
& none in the top. However It had  plenty of bearing in the top trebles.
Problem for me was that the  bridge slope was either flat or angling downhill on
the speaking length side of  the entire bridge  so all the bearing force was
applied basically at  the rear pins. No real problems tonally yet.  Not the
ideal  situation.  The dealer interestingly is ready to unload it.... uh  huh.
They do that periodicly.   IMO the entire bridge slope is  not right & it's only
going to get worse as the compression in the board  relaxes.  This is a
given.  To me this is huge belly set up issue that  unless your'e looking closely
for, might go un noticed for a season or  many.
  I didn't recommend the piano unless he got a deal &  was willing to invest.
  Dale Erwin

BTW,  I don't agree with David Andersen on the soundboard/front end ratio,  at
least not exactly.  While outright failures are not that common,  unevenness
in outcomes is, especially through the treble  sections.  I think that
inconsistency is inherent in the  process and we too easily learn to accept
less than is possible.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com