Steinways / David Andersen

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Sat Dec 9 13:37:44 MST 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 7:20 AM, Porritt, David wrote:

> Could it be that you don't encounter the sounding board problems that
> have been mentioned because the weather in your area is much more
> benign?

Absolutely. It could be. Good point.

Still: we have to work within a framework that's determined by
cultural perception and the iconic, mythic status of the Steinway
name. If my choice is to frame it so it feels positive instead of
punitive, or to rail and fume and demand satisfaction, I choose
number one.

Literally all you can do is be honest with the piano owner in as
diplomatic and non-condemning a way as possible---without minimizing
the bad news or lying even by omission. I figure if I have engendered
real trust, it's not a problem.
With trust, nothing's a problem. I see this again and again in my
practice. Trust is the most valuable tool; the most desirable
atmosphere in which to function....it's easy.  You can rest, relax,
and focus. People love it, because they rarely deal with somebody by
who they feel truly taken care of.

David A.