Yahama tuning challenges

Michelle Smith michelle at cdaustin.com
Sat Dec 9 22:58:14 MST 2006

I'm probably opening up a huge can of worms, but here goes!

As a newbie tuner, I'm still fascinated by the different tuning
personalities of certain brands of pianos.  My current frustration is with
Yamaha pianos, uprights and grands.  Techniques I use for other pianos just
don't seem to work here.  When tuning Yamahas, I do the typical approach
from above, carefully "notch tuning" until I get down to the correct pitch.
Then I let go and the darn thing goes sharp.  I end up doing a little jig
where I approach from above, go past the spot where it needs to be, and then
back up again at which point it usually settles in nicely.  Does this make
any sense at all?

The fact that the pitch goes back up when I let go of the hammer makes me
think that I am not settling the bottom of the pin properly.  I'm worried
that my "jig" technique described above it not going to produce a stable
tuning.  Any advice or experiences on this particular brand?

PS - I was just looking in the Different Strokes book by Ken Burton and the
closest comparison I can find is The Snake on page 59.

By the way, my incoming server is down right now so if you try to respond
privately, it may bounce.

Michelle Smith

Smith Piano Service

Bastrop, Texas