The Soundboard bit.. RC&S

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Sun Dec 10 08:02:38 MST 2006

Now, this relies on the fact that a wooden panel with no compression in it
will transmit the vibrational energy of the string in a good manner (I
suppose that is filtering the string input in an aesthetic pleasant way with
enough efficiency to deliver wanted acoustic volume).
Wouldn't a compressed pannel even do this better (even at the cost of some
in time fragility)?  I know, old question, but still much energy for talking
about it, and always interesting to see how the thinking evolves around
this.  I still think, in a non authoritative manner, that the internal
frictions in the board will be less when compressed than when not.  Anyway,
the proper resonant modes of the board will be higher in the compressed
version, and the board vibrational response to string input will accordingly
be more even all over the spectrum.  Or not ?

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.