The Soundboard bit.. RC&S

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 10 10:32:10 MST 2006

> My speculation was based on a small and simple experiment anyone could
> try at home (else I couldn't have done it).  Take a panel with no ribs,
> made in wood chosen for it's presumably good acoustic properties.  Do
> with the panel what they did to choose that wood : knock on it and hear
> how it sounds (average pitch, sustain, volume and, why not, subjective
> aesthetical value). Now, put the panel straight up, lean on it with all
> your weight (this asks a little practice to do safely) and again knock
> on it.  Hear again how it sounds (average pitch, sustain, volume and
> aesthetical value).  In my experiment, it was clear that the second
> version had more aesthetical value than the first one.
>
> Now how this experiment relates to the real world of piano soundboard in
> situ, you will most certainly be much more able to tell with some
> pertinence, absolutely no doubt.  I'm just trying to understand.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Stéphane Collin.

Hi Stéphane,
If I were making xylophone bars, I'd most certainly be
concerned with the tap tone and resonance of the wood I was
using. For soundboards, I'd really prefer the wood exhibit as
little specific resonance as possible. Besides supporting
downbearing in the type of system I'm currently building, I
see the soundboard doing basically two things. It acts as an
energy reservoir, cycling the string energy between string
plane and itself. It also provides a large surface to move
air, providing sound volume. If it were to be ringing (loud
enough) at it's own resonant frequency at the same time, it
would stand out and be a voicing problem that you couldn't
cure with voicing. Soundboards do have unavoidable resonances,
but I'd prefer to keep them at an absolute minimum if I can.

What, incidentally, is tapping soundboard planks supposed tell
us anyway? A dense close grained plank, say 20 grains per
inch, will ring clearer and longer than a lighter less dense
plank of, say 10 grains per inch. The 20gpi plank would be
better suited for a CC board than the 10gpi plank because the
denser plank will be more resistant to compression. For my
RC&S boards, I'd want the 10gpi plank. The ring tone and
duration of the planks doesn't have much specifically to do
with their general suitability as soundboard panel stock, but
is rather a secondary indication of a primary characteristic
that very well could make a difference. Take a common rip saw
and whack the blade with a stick. Not a very musical clunk.
Now clamp the handle between your knees and, holding the tip
with one hand, spring the blade into an "S" curve. Whack it
again and it sings long and sweet. The musical tone means
nothing to the process of sawing wood (perhaps even
*soundboard* wood <G>), but indicates a steel of required
physical characteristics to do the job. The tone is not
consulted either during the manufacturing process, nor by the
prospective purchaser. Terry, are you out there? Do you
assemble soundboard panels by tap tone, or by grain density
and orientation? For instance, if I ordered a tap tone
assembled panel and said "gimme an F"...

Ron N