The Soundboard bit.. RC&S

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Dec 10 12:40:36 MST 2006

----- Original Message -----
SNIP
> I can't
> comment on the Schimmel experiment because there are many variables to
> consider and who knows what they did exactly.
>
> David Love

That's exactly correct David. Was the only thing changed rib crowning and
panel drying? What about rib dimensions? How about panel thickness and grain
angle? How about rib array? Rib tapering? Many factors that we don't know
may have contributed to a someone not liking the result of any particular
piano.

Just like we all know that only cheap, cruddy sounding pianos utilize
laminated soundboards. Just ask Ron Overs and all who heard his fabulous
instrument in Rochester! Kinda bursts that bubble - more to a piano belly
than just the panel also.

AND, it's always possible that Schimmel built a nice example of a
RC&S-bellied piano - and as nice as it sounded, he (or she or they)
preferred a piano with another type of belly in it. And that can be a
beautiful thing!

Not only one way to do things. Now, I, personally, in my shop, may only be
comfortable building a belly one way, and because I like it so much, and am
very familiar with its virtues, I talk a lot about it. If I didn't think
method X was the best way to build a belly - why in the world would I be
using method X? I'd have to be some sort of half-baked nut! But I think most
all of us - if not all of us - know very well there are many ways to do
these things. And I think the piano world is generally better off for it.

Terry Farrell