Steinway question

pjr pryan2 at the-beach.net
Sun Dec 10 16:08:22 MST 2006

Was tuning an older well-refurbished Steinway O last week and ran across
one note that that did not play when I hit it soundly to  tune it.
Obviously, it was a jack slipping out under the knuckle.  The owner was
not interested in fixing it as he never plays that note loudly. :-)
(He's 92)  It's Christmas season and I thought I'd do a good deed and
reach in with my tool and turn that jack screw one way or the other and
fix the problem.  I take off the fallboard and reach in, but no jack
adjustment screw on the whippen.  What the...?  All the jacks are
resting against a felt cushion (not in a window) with no way to adjust
them.  Was I drinking too much egg nog or sleeping during whippens101?

Phil Ryan
Miami Beach
www.ryanpianoservice.com