The Soundboard bit.. RC&S

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Dec 10 18:08:18 MST 2006

Your points are so circular and contradictory I can't really follow them
other than to say it's clear that you have a bias toward more conventional
compression methods of crowning and seem to get very argumentative when it
comes to considering RC&S boards.  That's fine.  But I think you should
simply admit the bias rather than represent yourself as being open to new
ideas--you're not, not really.  My interest is in building the best sounding
pianos consistently.  I have no vested interest in what method that happens
to be.  I'm not sure what "proof" you are looking for.  The "proof" of the
pudding is in the tasting (should I coin that).  You build them, you listen,
you have other pianos in your shop, you compare, you build more, you listen,
you have other pianos in the shop, you compare, you go out in the field, you
listen, you come back to the shop and compare and when you are done you do
it some more.  When you begin to see consistent and predictable results,
that's proof enough for me.  You want a quantitative analysis of soundboard
performance as it relates to perceived tone with all other variables teased
out?  Good luck, not likely in my lifetime.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com