The Soundboard bit.. RC&S

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Dec 11 01:01:04 MST 2006

No my arguments are not circular and contradictory.  I'd rather say
that  yours are manipulative.  You dismiss things like the Shimmel
example and write off the research done players like Yamaha, Petrof, and
god knows how many others. You claim differences in performance when
they suit you and when they dont  suit you deny they exist. And since I
time and time again underline that I like the results of both approaches
I can hardly be said to be biased towards one or the other.

My simple point boils down to different strokes for different folks.
Until someone can show a "quantitative analysis of soundboard
performance as it relates to perceived tone" as you put it.. or even
something remotely akin to that.. then no one has any buisness waving
around their beliefs as facts.

I think at this point we've reached that familiar impass and have
clearly passed the boarder where exchange of ideas and thoughts have
been replaced by... well less constructive dialouge, I think its time to
leave things where they stand.

It has been tho, up to this point... one of the better exchanges on the
whole thing.

I'll get back to the general subject when I have my own design installed
in the near future.  Probably the worlds first laminate crowned board.
Me who has such a bias against trying new approaches....

Cheers
RicB

    Your points are so circular and contradictory I can't really follow them
    other than to say it's clear that you have a bias toward more
    conventional
    compression methods of crowning and seem to get very argumentative
    when it
    comes to considering RC&S boards.  That's fine.  But I think you should
    simply admit the bias rather than represent yourself as being open
    to new
    ideas--you're not, not really.  My interest is in building the best
    sounding
    pianos consistently.  I have no vested interest in what method that
    happens
    to be.  I'm not sure what "proof" you are looking for.  The "proof"
    of the
    pudding is in the tasting (should I coin that).  You build them, you
    listen,
    you have other pianos in your shop, you compare, you build more, you
    listen,
    you have other pianos in the shop, you compare, you go out in the
    field, you
    listen, you come back to the shop and compare and when you are done
    you do
    it some more.  When you begin to see consistent and predictable results,
    that's proof enough for me.  You want a quantitative analysis of
    soundboard
    performance as it relates to perceived tone with all other variables
    teased
    out?  Good luck, not likely in my lifetime.

    David Love
    davidlovepianos at comcast.net