Ribbing - Glue Removal

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Dec 11 18:53:27 MST 2006

Hi Terry
  Yes I've tried all those ways you mention to clean up  glue & find  them
all a pain in the sand. Very unsatisfactory. So  what I have done for years is
 1 locate the ribs on the board. I use small 1/4 inch  nails on each end
2. Scribe faint lines on each side of the rib & also scribe  the glue joint
around the perimeter,fish,cut-off etc,
 3. remove the ribs
 4. Quickly tape off the glue joint for each rib  & perimeter joint... Takes
10 minutes
5 Install ribs back over the taped off surface. tape off rib  ends.
  6. Spray one wet coat of kinser shellac or whatever  shellac you like on
board ribs & all.
 Let dry over night in hot box
  Glue up in am or next day
  Dale

 Terry this way I can use dampened rags & paper towell  to quickly a
completely clean up ALL glue squeeze & it's very clean &  I'm done.  It also repels
moisture absorption from the  rags

When gluing ribs to soundboard panels I have been  removing the glue with
water and a rag, immediately after clamping the  rib to the panel. However, on a
soundboard I am ribbing today, for some reason  the water cleanup method is
causing major grain raising on the panel  (never had that problem before).

I believe many soundboard builders clean up glue  squeeze-out at some time
after ribbing with a chisel, etc.

Would someone be willing to share their exact  procedure for removing glue
without water? I'd sure appreciate  it.

Terry Farrell
Farrell  Piano