pin block drill press

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Dec 12 20:23:35 MST 2006

Hi all,

some time back I was asked to post pictures of my set up for drilling  pin
blocks. I had a machine shop make a solid round bar the same diameter as my
drill press column. I then welded the column to a steel plate which I
screwed to a piece of birch plywood. This gives a little sled that I can put
the drill press head on and scoot it around a table I have set up

The table is just a double pin block blank. I have anti-gravity pads
underneath it to float it over the piano. ;-)  On a grand I just lay it
across the sides of the piano, usually with a couple of bar clamps to secure
it.

When drilling I have one of my sons stand off to the side to hold the vacuum
hose. These does double duty of keeping the chips out of the  way and it
keeps the drill bit cool. My bits never get dull.

Last picture is the finished product- 1/2" plugs from Webb Phillips. I've
never installed them before and it went pretty well.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802