Storage question

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 14 01:05:30 MST 2006

Hi, Phil:
    If your piano has a polyester finish, with no coating of lacquer on top,
I'd say no.  If the finish is lacquer, it might, depending if it was fresh
or not.  If there's no movement of the blanket rubbing on the finish,
polyester is extremely hard, so there aren't going to be packing marks.
But, if there is movement, sliding of the blanket with pressure against the
finish, it can scratch.  With lacquer, it probably won't make any packing
marks either, unless it is still fresh and uncured.  We store pianos all the
time in our shop, while they wait for player installs, and they usually
don't have a problem.  I wouldn't worry much about it.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego