Sohmer Cupid baby grand hints?

holly quigley hollyquigley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 21:30:09 MST 2006

Hi all -

I actually have 2 or 3 of these lovelies that I tune at least
semi-regularly. Does anyone recall the particular piano I'm talking about -
? It is truly "special"! In the treble where there is usually the
Capo/V-bar, there are holes that the strings go through. I mean one hole for
each note, and the strings kind of float above the plate through these
holes. Half of that treble section actually has these odd aggraffs on the
bridge, and then it goes to a standard bridge. In an old piano with the
original strings, this makes tuning a nightmare - horrible tone and false
beats all over the place, and I have yet to reconcile this! So, any tips or
hints on how to make this section more pleasing to tune, play, and hear? I
have not bothered seating the strings yet, as I am actually unsure of
whether or not it's a good idea to do so, with this odd, ODD design! I think
I can even provide pictures if anyone needs them. Also, anyone have any
history on what they were thinking when they made this piano?

Thanks in advance,
Holly