Now here is an interesting thought

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Dec 14 05:24:44 MST 2006

Hi Ric, - You likely are aware that I don't much subscribe to the
traditional "circle of sound" thing - at least not how it is presented in
marketing brochures. But, regarding the front termination directly bonded to
a very solid pinblock, I think the more that a piano's belly components are
all structurally bonded together in one solid piece, then all the better -
if nothing else, it may make for a more solid/stiff structure.

Yes, please post (or send to me) lots of pictures of the front terminations,
the pinblock area, the brace connections at the pinblock and this I-beam you
speak of. How flat is your pinblock? Is there some sort of pinblock flange
that the struts connect to? Sometimes pinblocks in old designs rotate a bit
in the middle under string tension without lots of plate material in that
area to help it keep it's original flat shape. I will be working with Phil
Bondi in the near future on the belly of his 1860s S&S grand. The pinblock
on his has warped/rotated. It will be replaced, but we are interested in
ideas to strengthen this area so that it doesn't rotate in the future.
Anything you can share with your Bluthner design would be appreciated.

Terry Farrell