New Underlever installation

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Dec 14 11:35:47 MST 2006

David writes:
<< Frequently when installing new Renner underlevers I run into the problem
that the new sostenuto tabs extend farther out than the old ones. <snip>
What is the best way to modify the original set up such that I don't create
other problems.   >>

  I have run into this problem, as well.  I don't know that there is a silver
bullet fix, but rather, a series of small changes, spreading the tolerances
around.  The pivot point can be moved distally a little, (however, it is
necessary to make sure the key-end felt will still engage them).  The rod may be
taken in as far as it will go. Make sure the back-checks are as steeply angled to
the hammer tail as possible, and even then,  may need to have a small cove
cut in them to allow maximum movement of the rod away from the tabs.
   I once asked Lloyd why Renner can't give us a smaller tabbed top-post, and
the problem lies in numbers.  There just aren't enough pre 1950 Steinway back
actions being rebuilt to justify another part-number.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT