Wood Upper Bridges aka "Nut"

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Fri Dec 15 01:14:51 MST 2006

	I have a 1902 Hardman, Peck upright that has a wooden "nut" in the bass.
[I never knew it was called that in pianos, but I also play cello, which
along with other instruments in the viol family, has an ebony nut.] The
bass is very rich and resonant, sounding better than many "baby grands,"
but I always thought it was the strings -- and they're not even
copper-wound, except the lowest `10 or so.  The rest are nickel-wound, I
believe (they're gray).  But I can't say I've seen an upper string
termination of hardwood in pianos of the 1920's or later -- it's usually a
metal "ridge" on the plate, with bridge pins or agraffes.  So many other
factors enter into the tone production that it's difficult to narrow it
down to the type of upper string termination, but it's not hard to see why
it would affect the timbre of the bass strings.
	--David Nereson, RPT