Engineering vs Seat of the Pants

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Dec 15 05:18:37 MST 2006

Hi folks

One thing that keeps bothering me and makes it difficult to resist
buying right into the RC & S gangs reasoning is that we never hear
anything about how
compression reliant boards  figure load bearing.. or much of anything
else for that matter.  I find all kinds of references to how an RC & S
board is actually designed... but nearly nothing about how one figures
basic things like just how darned strong a CC board is.

It struck me the other day that perhaps there isnt really much to begin
with, that perhaps this all was started by a more seat of the pants
approach.  If you dry a panel you can judge its MC fairly accuratly by
knowing the beginning MC and how much it shrunk after drying ... yes ?
So.. reversing that logic if you have a dried panel and inhibit by some
mechanism it from expanding and you know how much increase in RH you
subject it too... then you know how much compression the panel has taken
on.  Ribs are a way of inhibiting this expansion yes ? Seems to me then
that measuring the amount of crown, knowing the bending strength of the
ribs, and the change in RH gives you then enough information to fairly
accurately find the strength of the assembly for any given amount of
crown. From that point perhaps a few decades of trial and error with
regard to problems incurred with various rib placements designs was more
significant in terms of <<design>> then any engineering in the usual
sense of the word.

Ok.. this is pure speculation on my part.   But it would REAAAAALLLLY be
helpful if someone would do a basic review for the benifit of the whole
list as to how one goes about designing (by the book... if there is one)
a CC board, or any board that relies very much on compression.  It would
most certainly make it much easier to see  <<the light>> as it were
between the various methods of building boards.

I've done two board replacements earlier... and got quite a bit of
advice as to rib placement / size... etc... and both these were reliant
on compression for crown... and no one could really give me any good
specific engineering reasonings for any of their advice.

Cheers
RicB