S&S Keytops

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Dec 15 16:39:56 MST 2006

Hello Listers,

Anyone know the factory procedure for S&S Keytop installation??

I serviced a newer B today (2yrs old), and my client was complaining of the
feel at the front of one particular key.  Upon inspection, the lip of that
keytop had file marks on it, like as if I had filed a set of keytops and
forgot to buff them out.

I am curious how this would happen, as I wouldn't think the leading edge of
the lip would ever need filing.  Upon closer inspection, there were similar
marks on most of the keys, always at the front corner notches, and
frequently on the leading lip.  Anyone know if this could have come from the
factory, or if the dealer tech might have done this??

Befuddled in Belleville,
William R. Monroe