New Old Bluthner Soundboard

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Fri Dec 15 23:18:04 MST 2006

Hi Ric.

One more thought, if I may.
Some older pianos I have heard and worked on have after ring sounding like
pure happyness, emphasizing every nuance in the playing, and some others
have after ring sound like a mess, asking for being muted, please.
Now, apart from carefully choosing the felt quality for the dampers (I could
appreciate some original very soft felt arranged in a very clever
progressive damping pattern) and their shape over the scale (btw are the
dampers of your Blüthner also flat cut all over ? no V or W shapes ?), I was
thinking about what could possibly "tune" the after ring.
Backscale length somehow in tune or not, braiding pattern closer or looser
come to mind, but as you said, in which proportion could this be really
efficient ?
So I can't help but thinking about the soundboard tuning (flame suit on).  I
read that Ron O does this after stringing by adding mass to the bridge, if I
understood well.  But couldn't a belly man fine tune the board before it is
glued in the rim ?  I mean, I don't think of a F or a F# as lowest proper
resonance frequency (as was recently suggested, grin), but more achieve a
certain proportionnality between the proper modes of the board, in the same
way that violin makers still do.  Localy adjust the panel or the ribs
stiffness (not only letting the bass move more freely) could bring some of
the otherwise inharmonic modes of the board into a partially more harmonic
pattern that I suspect helping the whole thing breathe with more ease.
Ok, the board is not a xylophone, and is first designed to achieve
structural integrity and provide a surface for air contact, but eventually
the board will resonate, and all of it's modes will respond in some amount
to any note or chord input by the strings.  Wouldn't it be beneficial if
those modes themselves are sympathic to each other ?  And the impedance
holes problems, if any, wouldn't they be less obvious if all the modes were
a bit higher, so the "distance" between the modes would be lineary reduced ?
Couldn't the "one note kills" effect have to do with this ?
Again, just a thought hoping to raise good comments from the list.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.