string dents

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Dec 16 07:00:43 MST 2006

Hi Lance
   I've seen this before on some Young Changs where  the rookie got carried
away.  SInce wire has a memory this is hard to undo  as well as some heavy
string grooves embedded in the bridge top, If you succeed  in solving it please
post.
  Dale

A "new" RPT tech working for me got a little  excited about string voicing
and in the process of "tapping" down strings on a  new piano, went too far.  The
strings were hit in  the speaking length segment, in the direction of
termination with the bridge  pin V.  In other words, straightening the speaking
length segment before  it terminates at the bridge pin. Consequently, there is a
visible "dent/kink"  in the wire in the speaking length just before the bridge
termination,  creating more false beats than the ones that were to be
eliminated.  Is there a cure short of restringing that  section?  i.e., loosening
string and straightening wire with hook as good  as possible and retightening?
Thanks.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS,  LTD
LPIANOS.com