The Personalities of Pianos

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 17 17:58:45 MST 2006

Saturday I had the pleasure of tuning two RX-5 Kawai Grands, with serial
numbers one digit off. (as in Factory Mates, so to speak.)
It was really educational from the aspect of the "Actual" scales of these
pianos. Even though they are both "the same" they were definately
different. From an ETD standpoint, especially. The "stretch factor" was
different for each piano...throughout the scale. One was kind of bright and
cheery and the other one was a bit darker and had more fundimental sound.
Even though Kawai is one of those companies that has extremely rigid
quality control, there remains the "personality" of instrument, that I did
not expect. I don't seem to hear that, as much, with Yammies. Oh well, just
some Sunday Musings.
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police