Piano horse

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Dec 18 21:12:54 MST 2006

Hi  Dean
  Very Clever idea. I am one of those who routinely moves  a grand by tipping
on the lyre. wWell unless really rickity.  However the  way we do it is
essential to reducing stresses on the lyre.  We lay the  Skid on a custm made
dollie which has big flat hard rubber wheels  which do not pivot.  This provides a
platform for the piano to land on  which is about a 12 to 14 inch elevation
above the floor.  This re -duces  the severe angles known to destroy lyres. I
may have cracked one in 34  years.  It was probably rickety.  Never the less I
will incorporate  your beautiful simplistic idea.
  Thanks
  Merry Christmas
  Dale Erwin

Here is a very simple  brace you can make out of 1/2” threaded rod and
electrical conduit. One end  lodges between the inside of the leg top and keybed and
the other end pushes  against the lyre. It makes the lyre really solid and
definitely makes the  piano easier to tip on its side and vice versa.

Dean
Dean  May              cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com    812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802