Spreadsheet info / Jason Kanter

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 18 22:41:25 MST 2006

Calin Tantareanu wrote:
> What exactly is the dog-leg problem? I thougth a dog-leg is used to allow
> smooth progression of string lengths, according to whatever formula one
> uses, when the bridge meets a plate strut.

Exactly.  There are very often competing criteria.  Do you want a smooth
curve to the bridge, or do you want a smooth curve to the speaking lengths
of the strings?  You can't have both .....  well, unless you want the
bridge to be 75mm wide.

> I have also seen pianos designed without doglegs (and not cheap ones)
where
> the somewhat longer than normal string to the left of the strut didn't
seem
> to adversely affect the sound.

I am sure there are very fine pianos built at both ends of the spectrum of
this issue.  The only way we will ever know which is better, or if
something in between is best, would be to conduct a test.  Build a dozen,
or so, pianos, identical in every respect, except for variations between
the extremes of this spectrum.  That is not going to happen in my work
environment, so I have to just go with what makes intuitive sense to me,
and that is to maintain a smooth curve in string length, and to use other
tools to minimize the dogleg in the bridge.