Bridge Doglegs, was: Spreadsheet info / Jason Kanter

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Tue Dec 19 15:27:01 MST 2006

If memory serves, the notion that the bridge should not be "doglegged" comes
from the philosophy holding that sound needs to travel unimpeded back and forth
throughout the interior of the bridge. For more on this see Wm Braid White's
book, Theory and Practice of Pianoforte Building, 1906.

I believe it was also White that wrote about the need to reduce the width of the
bridge at the glue joint to allow the surface of the soundboard to more freely
"undulate."

Del