physically getting hammers on shanks

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Dec 20 01:46:08 MST 2006

At 9:12 pm -0500 19/12/06, you wrote:

><< Would any one please share their technique for shanking up hammers for a
>vertical piano?  >>
>
>Don't forget to make a hole all the way through the hammer core so that the
>glue can squeeze through. Otherwise, you have pressure to fight.

I've never heard of or seen anyone do that.  The normal way to
provide an escape for the glue is to score a line down the top of the
shank for 15mm or so, but even that is not necessary if the knurling
provides an escape route.

A good knurler is essential, and if, as in Ed Miller's case it is
impossible to knurl the shank to a fittable diameter without
splitting the shank, then either the bore is too small or the shank
is too fat.  In this case I knurl once, then whittle away the
knurling with a knife working with the blade at a right angle to the
shank and then knurl again.

A tool for scoring the shank is very easy to make : in a piece of
hardwood cut out a channel 6mm. wide and 6mm. deep; bevel the end of
a nail and drive it up through a hole bored centrally in the channel.

To score the shank, drag it along the nail with some pressure.

JD