upright touchweight

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Dec 20 02:38:52 MST 2006

Hi John

Increasing the backweight of the keys will only increase BW. That is to
say that both UW and DW will increase.  If you bring your DW up to 50
grams this way you can expect an UP of around 40 since you started out
at around  40-45/30.  That yields a pretty high BW and the way I read
your post I dont think thats what you are after.

Increasing friction can be accomplished by making sure your hammer and
whippen centers are tight enough, making sure key bushings are tight
enough, and balance pin hole is not too loose.

Other things that can yield a <<sense>> of increased weight is damper
timing, damper spring strength, and to some degree jack return spring
strength.  Increasing spring strength tho has the same effect as putting
more leads in the keys tho... both UW and DW are increased.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers
RicB