warning: intense discussion of tension

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 20 19:23:13 MST 2006

List

  I have read posts quoting the amount of tension on a grand plate, how much tension is added with a pitch raise, references to low tension scales, high tension scales...etc.

  How is this measured?   And where are the measuring points?  I mean, are we talking from one end of the plate down at the heel of the piano all the way to the part that abuts the stretcher?  Or from agraffe to hitch pin?  Tuning pin to hitch pin?

  How about string tension?  Does this refer solely to the speaking length of the string, or from tuning pin to hitch pin?

All these numbers get thrown around but in the end I have no understanding of exactly what is measured, and how.

  Does anybody know?

Just curious,

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago