physically getting Hammers OFF shanks

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Dec 21 18:12:17 MST 2006

Hi Dave
   I routinely go thru a process of finding the  optimal strike line when
hanging new hammers, so the ability to quickly remove  them without damage & then
reinstall them is very important. .......Well  obviously." Even when I have
done a thoro job of locating what I think is the  optimum strike spot, & hang
the hammers I frequently find myself aurally  tweaking the location later
during or after final voicing. The area in question  covers a large segment of the
trebles so this tool makes quick work of this  process without damage to
center pins & endless time consuming heating of  the shank & hammer head to
persuade the glue to give in.
  I frequently receive  actions in the course of  belly work that have al
ready been "rebuilt." New Renner hammers & parts or  Abels etc.  Too Heavy a
hammer for the knuckle location part or hammers I  don't like on that piano or just
to dang heavy period.
    Another scenario is I remove the hammers  then relocate the knuckles
where I want them & prep the hammer of my choice  & reuse the shanks. It takes a
shop grunt 3 hours to do this so recycling  $00.00 shanks is a good deal for 25
bucks labor & a set of knuckles.   It does Require a slotting jig.  I also
use your method of removing hammers  I am putting in the trash.
  Hey How's Ron N's D sounding?
  Dale
  P. S I have  brand new set of Brooks  bored & prepped Abels preped for a 20
note  Steinway.
    Less than a few hours of play.  Make an  offer...selling em cheap

Dale:
I am right now in the process of taking some hammers  off shanks.  I have a
hammer removing tool, but only use it if I want to  save the hammers for some
reason (they're not totally shot and there might be  a piano around here with a
lower priority that could use these.)  Most of  the time, however, I just cut
them off as I'm doing now.  A hefty pair of  diagonal cutters will split the
tail and then pull them off and throw them  away.  I've always found that
faster than the hammer puller.
How does this new tool do with the glue  collar?
dp

David M. Porritt
_dporritt at smu.edu_ (mailto:dporritt at smu.edu)