stinging scale

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 21 21:55:30 MST 2006

Christopher asked: "I am doing my first restringing (an old Emerson
Upright), and the original
treble scale (I assume it was original--they were 1/0 pins) I thought was
kind of unusual:

20 1/2--2 unisons
19 1/2--4 unisons
19--2 unisons
18 1/2--6 unisons
17 1/2--11 unisons
16 1/2--8 unisons
15 1/2--10 unisons
14 1/2--6 unisons
14--8 unisons
13--6 unisons

(The numbers above refer to SAE wire size, of course)
For most of the scale, the changes were by whole sizes. I have not done any
rescaling before, but I understand that the scale would be smoother if it
increased by half sizes, right? How much of a difference would it make in
the quality of sound (harmoniousness, inharmonicity, etc.) to rescale the
treble? I had bass strings already made by Schaff from a paper pattern.
Would the bass scaling needed to be taken into account when rescaling the
treble?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!"

--
Christopher,
Pretty much a YES to all of your questions. You might talk to Keith Kopp,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I