Downbearing Guidlines

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri Dec 22 09:44:35 MST 2006

Hi experts out there...

Just a quick question I'm hoping for a few hints on.  Given a  soundboard that deflects from 4mm of crown to 1 mm of crown with 250 lbs of presure spread over its surface roughly evenly....  what kind of downbearing pressure should I be looking at achieving. Said another way.... what kind of string tension should I be looking for.  The scale I am working with is a very low tension scale with plain wire breaking %'s around 35 %. with modern wire used as a base for figureing.  I'm thinking that an increase to 45 % should be perhaps a minimum.  The scale needs to remain quite low tension because of structual concerns..

Thoughts ?

Cheers
RicB