pitch raise question

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Dec 23 14:47:10 MST 2006

FWIW, a while back, just for fun, while destringing a 100+ year old grand
with original strings, we turned a bunch of them up in pitch and measured
with an Accutuner to see how far we could pull them sharp before breaking.
None broke a less than a full half-step, most made it past a full step, and
most broke between a full step and 1.5 steps sharp.

Unless the string has really lost all it's elasticity or is rusty or
somesuch, you won't break too many strings pulling them 30 or 40 cents
sharp. But much beyond that I wonder if one doesn't run the risk of some
sort of permanent disfiguring of the string.

Terry Farrell