Lubricating key pins without removing the keys: was RE: myths

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Dec 24 22:10:12 MST 2006

There is a way to lubricate the key pins quickly and without removing the
keys.  Just slide the action out and stand it straight up with the back rail
resting on the key bed.  Using a hypo oiler put a drop or two of Protek
directly on the key pin.  It will wick up to the top of the key and provide
a nice and instant lubrication.  For the sharps you have to use the bombs
away method so good aim is required.  But once you get the hang of it a
couple of drops for each key is all it takes.  The entire action can be done
in about five minutes (or less), lubricate the knuckles with Teflon powder
(1 minute) and you're done.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com