Janco keyboard

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 26 07:48:07 MST 2006

There is also a new fingering system for the bassoon which cannot establish itself, despite its clear superiority in eliminating many of the intonation problems of changing registers.

You could understand why a system like this would encounter resistance.  The people who have succeeded at playing the bassoon have mastered the intonation problems of the instrument.  Who's going to teach this new system to the next generation of bassoonists?  (If there is a next generation of bassoonists...)

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago

"J. Stanley Ryberg" <jstan40 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    One other feature that hasn't yet come up...if I recall correctly, having seen one of these on an old upright at the National Music Museum in Vermillion SD...is that the layout is much like that of a concert button accordion.  There are places in Europe where the button accordion is much preferred, but in most of the world it seems the piano accordion is more often found, possibly for similar reasons to the conventional piano keyboard.

  Somewhat related is a Galpin Society Journal article from the late '50s, I think, that described an instrument called "The Logical Bassoon," which, as any bassoon player will tell you, is an oxymoron!  It was operated by solenoids...the thumb picked out which octave was to be played and the fingering was then the same in all octaves.  As I understand it, the problem was that the sound of the instrument was also the same in all octaves, rendering it less than useful as a substitute for a real bassoon!  So much for logic....

  Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
jstan40 at sbcglobal.net