Janco keyboard

Robin Blankenship tunerdude at comcast.net
Tue Dec 26 08:07:22 MST 2006

Hi List,

I have a close friend who is a piano tech and rebuilding who owns an authentic Janko keyboarded piano. In his, the rest of the action is all very ordinary; i.e., the hammers are sitting on a conventional rest rail. In fact, the Janko keyboard itself can be replaced with an ordinary keyboard easily enough.

In noodling around with it, I found that in addition to being able to use the same fingering for all similiar scales, the span for a given interval was less, and thus presumably easier to reach.

It was probably just a great idea that happened along centuries too late to compete with the standard musical keyboard. Too bad.

Robin Blankeship