Agraffes in uprights

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Dec 28 08:52:04 MST 2006

I think you got it right with your yes/no.  If indeed extra mass in the
termination and/or stiffness is achieved using one solution over the
other... in general this would probably have to be seen as a plus.  Tho
we are not looking at a capo type solution where the termination itself
is part of the plate.  The pressure bar in an upright is usally
(always?) screwed into wood...  bypassing coupling to the frame
entirely.  An indirect route is established ... but but but.....

Agraffes in uprights are on the other hand coupled directly to the
plate.  What in then the string sees in terms of mass/rigidity between
the two solutions I dont know... but it seems to me that the answer is
not a straightforward one.  In anycase its not like the situation in the
grand.

Cheers
RicB

    Is the extra mass of the pressure bar a benefit in the treble in
    uprights,
    as the capo is in grands?  (Probably not a yes/no answer! :-)

    --Cy--