Agraffes in uprights / Frank

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Dec 29 09:39:03 MST 2006

Hi Frank

Nice posting and I thank you for it.  I personally like it when folks
provide a bit of straightforward reasoning to explain their perspectives
on matters.  Their seems to be a point of contention relative to the
<<performance>> of agraffes visa vi pressure bar solutions in uprights
in the discussion so far.  I'm not sure what each party actually means
by <<performance>> but certainly in many if not the greatest majority of
pianos I have to either restring or change a single string on the
agraffe presents the easiest to deal with solution by and large. I run
into a lot of pressure bar instruments where you have to really struggle
to get a broken string through the termination and counterbearing, and
then get the bend into the darned pinhole.  Never run into this with
agraffed uprights.   And, they do have the nice habit of making sure the
strings are correctly aligned.... assuming the agraffes themselves are
correctly placed. Granted this is not usually a concern in anycase...
but when it is, its always in a non agraffe instrument.

 That said... I have yet to hear any real reasoning as to the
differences between the two solutions concerning acoustic related
performance issues, and would sorely like to hear some.  Strikes me that
whatever differences there may be... there are certainly many
instruments with agraffes that sound and bear up over time quite as
nicely as any without. I would also be very interested in hearing more
on the different configurations of the <<six variables>> you mentioned
in your post.. and exactly what those six variables consisted of.

Cheers
RicB