ethics question

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Dec 29 19:14:48 MST 2006

What to do it right.  Its not a matter of ethics really... I mean you
know that you SHOULD tell the customer where the instrument stands.  25
lbs of torque is NOT IMHO acceptable in a 1 year old piano.  The
customer should be informed that he has an instrument with a defect that
should be covered by warranty and will in the very near future require
at least a repinning job.

On the other hand... you might have to face the reality that your dealer
will not be pleased with your action and shy away from using you....
What to do.

One solution which immediatly comes to mind is to right a very topical
to the point description of the condition of the piano "at the request
of the owner" (who you of course agree with as to this approach ahead of
time) and send a copy to both him and the dealer... thereby putting the
owner and the dealer in direct position with each other and removing
yourself from further responsibilities in the matter.

Let them take it from there and leave it at that.... if your dealer
questions you about things just tell him you had attempted to contact
the tech head on the matter on 2 occasions and that his predecessor had
been informed and done nothing about it and now your customer was
getting on your case about the matter... which can be explained away in
a number of fashions.... like for example the customer <<noticing>> it
took you a longer then normal time to tune the piano... or whatever.

Be creative, keep on as positive and neutral ground as you can... but
let the customer know.

Cheers
RicB

List

  What to do, what to do...

  A client has a new Essex grand, purchased less than a year ago.  The
local Steinway dealer assigned me the freebie first tuning on the piano
which I performed almost 6 months ago.  At this point, the client is now
mine.

  At that first tuning I was alarmed to find that most of the tuning
pins were way too loose.  I'm not being picky here; I wasn't sure if the
piano would even hold the tuning when I left.  So I called the head of
the tech dept. at the dealer to inform him about the loose pins.

  He told me that I needed to measure the torque with a torque wrench so
that they had some concrete figures to back up my assertion.  He wanted
me to get some measurements without alarming the client, which I was
able to do.  He seemed to indicate that he would have the piano replaced
if the torque readings were unacceptable.

  All the pins measure less than 25 pounds of torque.  Many were less
than 15 pounds.  I reported back to the head techie at the dealer and
did not hear of any further developements.  I did not share any of this
with the owner.

  Last week the owner of the piano called to get it tuned again, so I
went yesterday and retuned the piano.  My last tuning actually held just
fine.  The piano was about 10 to 15 cents low, not at all unusual at
this time of year, let alone on a new piano with stretching strings.

  The pins are just as loose as ever.  You can't overpull a string and
ease it back down, because it'll just slip all the way down a half step
or so.  You have to pull it up to pitch and let go  V  E   R   Y
G   E   N   T   L  Y.   This is a technique that we have all perfected
after years of working on 75 year old Gulbransens, not pianos less than
a year old.

  So my ethical dilemma is this:  Should I tell the client that the
tuning pins are too loose for a new piano?  The dealer may have given me
the client, but the client is mine now.  I feel that I owe them my
honest opinions on things, and my opinion is that this piano is
defective.  Of course, no one has actually asked for my opinion about
the piano, so I'd be the one who started all this trouble if it comes to
that.  (I don't really do much work for the dealer any more, so I don't
think I have that much to risk, personally, business-wise, but of
course, I'd rather not alienate the only Steinway dealer in Chicagoland!)

  And after all, the piano is fine right now.  It will hold a tuning,
even if I have to be a little careful while doing it.  How many years
will it be before these loose pins become so loose that it won't hold a
tune?  I don't know, but certainly much sooner than any new piano
should.  It seems unethical to allow the client to be blissfully unaware
that in a year, or two or ten, this piano may need a new pinblock.  They
have a warranty now, and since this situation is only marginally
acceptable now and will only get worse, they should take care of it
sooner rather than later.

  There is a new head of the tech department at the dealer.  I have
called him twice and he hasn't returned my calls yet.  Of course, I
won't do anything until I talk to him, but in the meantime, the ethics
of the situation seemed worthy of discussion.

  What do you all think?  What would you do?

  I look forward to your sage advice,
  Tom Sivak
  Chicago