ethics question

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Dec 30 10:05:43 MST 2006

May I suggest, Tom, that you haven't yet done your duty. Perhaps the dealer
and the factory are taking their cues from you.  Of course I don't have a
transcript of your conversations with them but from what you have shared so
far I would get the impression that you have been less than forceful with
them. If you are just reporting data with no conclusions then you are
allowing them to reach whatever conclusion is most favorable to their short
term interest. I would encourage you to be more aggressive and forceful
without bringing the customer in just yet. Let them know that this piano
needs replaced. You demonstrate your allegiance to the customer by
aggressively keeping the pressure on the dealer and the factory. If you
don't then allegiance really doesn't mean anything, it's just a word.

Of course your challenge is to do it diplomatically without burning bridges.
It should help your cause that you have consulted the national PTG forum and
the consensus is that a new piano with those torque numbers is wholly
unacceptable. Let the factory know that the entire PTG network is watching
this case to see how they'll respond. It is not just their reputation with
this one customer that is on the line here.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802