drill press shank test

ed miller edmiller3 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 30 11:25:40 MST 2006

I'm curious if anyone out there has ever checked shanks, prior to installing
them, for straightness by using a screw gun?

I just tried it for the first time and it seemed to be more accurate and
faster than rolling, or eyeing, them roll on a flat surface.

I inserted each shank into the chuck of my cordless drill, pressed the
button, and rejected any that had a wobble as it turned. I was very cautious
in making sure the shank was seated straight in the drill chuck.

What are people's thoughts on this technique?

Ed