loose ethical pins update

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Dec 31 09:10:33 MST 2006

Hi Tom

Nice to hear things have so far turned out well.  Looks like your
Steinway dealership is willing to take the problem seriously, if
presented with it a fashion that shows appropriate sensitivities to the
various issues always involved in such cases.  Sounds to me like you
handled the thing perfectly.  I especially liked your attitude towards
encouraging them to get a second opinion.  This is ALWAYS,  (IMHO) a
useful and productive move to make.

I also look forward to hearing whether the dealer indeed follows up and
in that case whether or not Steinway follows up.

One question tho... is the owner aware of the situation at this point ?

Cheers
RicB

List

  I was able to catch the head technician in at the shop today and all
is well.

  It really helped to hear all your advice and I think it helped me to
get my head on straight, if I may use an outdated cultural catchphrase.

  I related my experiences with the piano to the head tech and he said
he would contact Steinway on Tuesday and find out how they would like to
respond to this issue.  (He thought they might replace the piano, or
perhaps repin it.)  I told him I wouldn't be offended if he wanted to
send another tech out there for a second opinion but he felt the torque
readings were low enough to warrant action.

  I want to say further, just to balance the issue out, that this is the
only Essex I've ever found with low pin torque.  The most common problem
I've found with Essex grands is the occasional leaking damper.  I've
been called on to tune about 40 of these over the last couple of years
and like most Asian pianos, they have a very clear tone and are easy to
tune.  Sure, I prefer when they send me a new client with a Steinway B,
but heck, out of all the pianos I tune, these Essexes would be closer to
the top of the list than the bottom.  (OK, so I have a lot of Janssen
spinets and Betsy Rosses in my clientele!)

  Furthermore, the local dealer of which we discuss usually has a
comprehensive new piano prepping procedure.  I know because I have
prepped many of the pianos there over the past few years.  This huge
sale cleaned out their entire inventory and new pianos were coming right
out of the box and into the customer's homes.  This is not normal
procedure, but that's how a piano like this got to be in a customer's home.

  I look forward to writing to you all again to say that the issue has
been settled and either the customer has a new piano or a new pinblock.
And that the dealer hasn't blackballed me!
  At this point, I have little doubt that I will be able to send that
post to you all at some point.

  Thanks again for your input,
  Tom Sivak
  Chicago