Bridle Straps

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 31 21:28:28 MST 2006

What is everyone's experience with cork vs. clip vs. regular bridle straps??

  Thanks Tom!
  Matthew

Tom Sivak <tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    Matt

  I tried using glue once, but it was a PITYKW.  (pain in the you-know-what)

  I always use the cork-tipped bridle straps when I can.  There's a hole in the catcher that the cork just fits into.  (You can buy large, medium, and small corks)  I just did a set of bridle straps last week; it took me 45 minutes.  There's a cork bridle strap inserter tool, which is just like a stick with a pin in the end.  You stick the pin in the cork, and use it to push the cork into the hole in the catcher.

  Some pianos don't have this convenient little hole to stick the cork-tipped bridle strap into.  On those occasions, I use the bridle straps with a little metal clip on the end.  These can be snapped onto the catcher dowel, or whatever it's called, the dowel that the catcher is connected to the hammer butt with.  These take a little longer to install, but either way is preferrable to using glue.

  Give yourself a break and take advantage of one of the modern conveniences of life: cork-tipped bridle straps!

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago

Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Okay, I have officially done my first bridle strap replacement on my piano.  I need to know how to control the glue!  I will say that it was far from the neatest job!  Plus, (don't laugh), I removed all the whippens and the letoff rail before I started.  I was just getting really frustrated with moving in between all the parts.  So I am wondering what kind of techniques you all use.  In the "Repair Labor Guide, the job takes 1.5 hrs.  It took me a combined total of 5 hrs.  So, maybe removing all the whippens didn't teach me much, I don't know.  Any help here would be cherished!

  Matthew
http://mail.yahoo.com