Kawai vs. Yamaha

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sun Mar 5 15:01:22 MST 2006

Patrick,

Comments interspersed.

----- Original Message -----
From: "PIANISSIMO PIANOFORTE S.L." <patrick at pianospianissimo.com>
To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2006 3:50 PM
Subject: Re: Kawai vs. Yamaha

William,

> Respectfully disagree

That's great, it certainly keeps our brains busy :)

>I find the newer Kawais, particularly the RX's to be
> very nice if properly voiced and regulated from the factory

Newer ones you say, how about the older ones?? wait for those RX's to be a
few years old and you'll see a different side to them.

New, old, I really don't find many difficulties with the RX pianos.  I do a fair bit of work for a Kawai dealer, and see many, many of these, and with proper care, I don't find these problems.

> Shigeru's,
> of which I have seen a few - very nice.  Some of the best, IMO.  Yes, with
> or above the Yamaha S series.

Since i havent come across any Shigerus yet, i take your word on that one.

> As for the new action parts, "black ABS" being just plain weird, someone
> probably said that about the double-escapement grand action that Erard
> came
> up with.  The action parts BTW are Carbon-impregnated ABS.  I think they
> are
> the cat's meow.  Just my opinion.  ABS in general, is found to be
> stronger,
> more dimensionally stable, among other things.

I am fully aware of that, im not saying that is bad, just that the black
whippens are actually weird to look at!

Got it.  Agree that it takes some getting used to (the black).  I guess I took issue because the way you phrased it makes it sound that the ABS in general, black in particular, is inferior, when I find that to be untrue.

Hope you get to see some Shigeru pianos.  They really are at the top.

William R. Monroe

Regards,

Patrick