Verituner on pocket pc?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Nov 28 04:38:53 MST 2006

At 10:12 AM 11/28/2006 +0100, you wrote:

>But you do 2 tunings for pith raising, right? How long does the
>first pitch raise take with vt? I find it hard to believe that an
>ETD can anticipate how the different regions of a piano will detune
>while pitch raising. Every piano or grand is not like an other! But
>I do believe you and all the other tuners who wrote the same.
>
>Gregor

Does pitch raise and tune in under an hour sound fast enough? The
time for just the pitch raise is immaterial, really, and varies by
_your_ tuning speed - how fast can _you_ move from one to the next.
The important factor is how close to a final tuning are you when you
start the fine tuning phase.  The closer the pitch raise gets you,
the better the final tuning will be.

I can't speak for Verituner, since I use the Cybertuner software, but
computers are very good at remembering and crunching numbers.  ETDs
"remember" the pitches found (i.e. pre-tuning) for the previous notes
and averages them to determine the overpull, OR UNDERPULL, for every
note you are on.

I have seen MANY times where pitch is low in one section and high in
another, and EVERY tuning where individual notes vary over or under
the average. The record for the entire piano can be reviewed and this
can be seen quite easily. I like doing a descending chromatic
computer glissando by holding down the step key and watching the
target shift back and forth.

Conrad Hoffsommer

There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them.
-Casey Stengel