Action Position Adjustment

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Sep 1 15:06:27 MDT 2006

Older Kawai grand. The piano lacks tone in the top two octaves - progressively gets worse toward C88. Cearly, C88 is hitting the string at the capo - clearly the action is too far forward. However, the key bed has three or four wooden stop blocks screwed to it that prevent the action from being moved further back (what are those blocks called?). I have not run into this before. What is the best fix? Removing, plugging, and redrilling the stop blocks would be difficult in the cramped quarters of the action cavity. Should I just carefully plane/cut off a few millimeters from the rear rail of the action frame and then position with the adjustable thingees (what are they called?) in the cheek blocks?

Seems to me it's one or the other. Any better suggestions? Thanks.

Terry Farrell