Damper Lever Felt Excavation

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 2 11:17:05 MDT 2006

I've seen this many times.  If you get a wet strip of cloth, you can "shoe-shine"  the spoons clean again.  Usually, you have to replace the felt.  I think that some moisture gets in there and affects the felt.  Something in the felt then gets on the spoons and dries, making it like sandpaper.
The symptom is opposite to what you find when there is excess friction in the action- the keys are more sluggish when you play the note "without" using the damper pedal.
Paul McCloud
 San Diego