The dead horse thread

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Sep 3 07:25:51 MDT 2006

If anyone were to do such a thing, IMHO, they would be a fool. Who in their
right mind would take the time, investment and money to redesign and build
such a piano and then not address these features when it goes up for sale? I
don't think it is reasonable for anyone to jump through all those hoops and
then try to hide how the piano differs from the original.

That would be like having a 1966 Corvette that has improved suspension,
balanced & blue-printed engine, 4-bolt main bearings, ported & polished
valves, a 4:88 posi 12-bolt rear end, angled plugs, 12.5:1 pistons, hi-lift
solid-lifter camshaft, etc., etc., etc.

Ahhhhhh, but now someone is tempted to point out that only totally original
Corvettes command top dollar - and indeed they would be correct. And that's
because there are a lot of people interested in collecting Corvettes. But
who is that totally original Corvette sought by and who would value the
modified Corvette? The guy who rarely drives the Corvette and only enters it
in car shows will value the all original Corvette. The person who races cars
and is looking for high performance will value the modified Corvette more.

And therein lies my point.

And now back to pianos. When was the last time you attended a classic piano
show and where the instruments just sat there and no one played them? Which
piano might a demanding pianist who plays the instrument and values high
performance be more interested in?

Now before you chop my head off, I'm just pointing out extremes here to make
a point. I have played and heard many very lovely original-type Steinway and
other pianos. But I think the point I'm making has merit.

Not many folks build or have built pianos for classic piano show purposes.
Most are built to be played. Performance is what is sought by those in the
know.

And why in the world would anyone selling such an instrument not want to
feature such modifications? Well, unless they didn't work I guess.

Terry Farrell