NORTH BENNET STREET SCHOOL

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 3 15:10:04 MDT 2006

At 01:15 PM 9/3/2006, you wrote:
>Hello list,  let me introduce myself.  My name is Shawn Brock and I
>am a blind Musician/ Audio Engineer/ wantabee Piano Tuner
>Technician.  At this time I liv in Cincinnati and have studied with
>one of the best Techs around, Nevin Essex.  We have worked on
>tuning, some restringing and soon regulating.  As I stated I am a
>musician(but not a pianist) I know its strange a blind guy who dont
>want to play the piano...  A blind guy who got into piano tuning
>whin he dont have to!  The truth is I have a good ear and good
>dexterity.  In short, I'm in love with Piano Technology!  Its true
>I'm makeing a good living with my studio and band and now I am 25
>years old so its a little late to change horses but I want
>to.  Anyhow after all of this rambeling...  Was wondering if there
>are any graduates from the north benet street school in boston who
>would bee willing to talk to me about there experiences with the
>school?  At this time it seems nbss is the way to go for me.  They
>have had blind students in the past, anyone on list know one of these people?

The easiest way for you to find one of these blind graduates of the
school, Shawn, is to contact the NBSS admissions office. They make
all possible efforts to keep the most current information for all
their graduates and are glad to provide such information to
prospective students or - for that matter - employers.

>If possible i would like to talk to anyone over the phone on my
>dime, at your time.  I just need more info before i pull up stakes
>and move to Boston.  Its a big thing for me to close my business and
>giv up all i have worked to build.  If anyone can talk to me I would
>bee varry, vary grateful!  Thanks.

I pulled up stakes and moved to Boston some twenty-plus years ago and
never regretted it. The same instructors and facilities are still
there (with some welcome additions) - except with 20+ years' worth of
additional experience. I would be very glad to discuss my experience
with you - except that you might be better off talking to more recent
graduates, or some that do not involve the expense of cross-country
telephone communications. The NBSS admissions office can put you in
touch with graduates in your geographic vicinity, so that you don't
have to contend with long-distance charges and time-zone differences
and could get some idea of the opportunities in your area that the
education opened to them. But if you wish to talk to me about it
anyway - my contact information is on the PTG Home Page. Call at any
time you wish...

Israel Stein