wool fibers

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 4 22:09:01 MDT 2006

I'm dragging the through the Fandrich book on Tone Building.  It is pretty
slow going for me, but on the other hand rather amazing the detail to which
these people went to long ago to discuss, examine, and create instruments
with good tone.    I'm in chapter 4 where they say that wool fibers parallel
to the strings don't get indented as much as those which run perpendicular
to the strings.   Do any examine the hammers under magnification before they
think of filing or needling?   Is this even an issue in 2006?  Has the
making of hammers changed overall that greatly.  At the National we helped
"make" a set of hammers, Ronson,  cut the felt, put it in the press, applied
the glue.  Then they were set overnight, and we didn't see the results.  But
this stuff gets really interesting, so I'm nosy as to how much people pay
attention to the individual fibers in a set of hammers before and while they
are working on them.
les bartlett