Naphtha update and question

Michelle Smith michelle at cdaustin.com
Tue Sep 5 16:50:34 MDT 2006

Hi all.  A couple of days ago I asked the group about Naphtha and other
liquids that might free up an old Steinway action.   The hammers were really
stiff (1 to 1.5 swings) so I removed each hammer, lubricated, wagged them
back and forth, and got about 5 swings out of them.  I was so proud of
myself until I put the action back in the piano.  The action moved much
better but two other things happened:

1.	The piano had a more mellow tone--almost muffled in some areas
2.	About four notes have a strange small tinny sound almost like a
guitar string is being plucked.

Is it possible that the strings aren't hitting exactly in the same (deep)
grooves as before?  I put some travel paper under the tinny notes which
helped some but not all.

Still learning and looking forward to your opinions,

Michelle Smith