Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? ( Advice sought )

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 11:23:05 MDT 2006

Dear Everyone,
     I am restoring a  1923 Steinway "M".  I am
thinking about impregnating the bridge tops with
either very thin CA ( because it permeates best ) or
"Epotek 301", because it is also very thin. Then I
want to "neaten up the notching". Reblitz says to
notch at halfway across the pin line, but I notice
that most of the notches here ( particularly in the
high treble ) are near the back of the pin line. To
confuse matters, I just tuned a  Baldwin SF 10, and
the notches were near the FRONT of the pin line!
( What's a neurotic-compulsive perfectionist to do ? )
     As regards the CA idea: CA glue, when cured,and
especially when soakred into wood,  is murderously
hard ( try sanding it ) !!!  I suspect it would be the
best choice to impregnate the wood of the cap, to
resist compression, AND to transmit vibrations. It is
not, though, the best to cling to the pin. What I am
considering: paint clean, sanded tops & notches with
ultra-thin CA, let soak in and dry. To keep it from
filling up the bridge pun holes, I'll find something
of the cxorrect diameter to "plunge" them with, before
the stuff cures ( not that fast, really, when used in
quantity ). Then I'll ream the holes with drill bits
to proper diameter for new bridge pins
( what brand/ supplier should I use ? ) fine-sand
everything again, nice and clean, DAG the top, and Put
in the new bridge pins with epoxy.
     I woulkd really appreciate everyones' comments on
this proposal, and any other pertinent advice you care
to dispense.
    Spare me not!!!!
     Thump